Caribbean Chicken and Pumpkin Soup
Chicken and pumpkin soup is a staple fall recipe and a bowl of warm hug at winters. What’s even better is that this recipe has taken on a Caribbean notch! This recipe offers a tropical fusion of flavours that would surely be a regular in your kitchen. Gather round and enjoy this sumptuous bowl of warmth!
|Prep Time||Cooking Time||Total Time||Serving||Calories|
|15 mins||50 mins||65 mins||5||576 kcal|
How to do it:
- Heat up a clean and dry pot with oil.
- Add the onions, garlic, bay leaf, green onions, all spice, thyme, Scotch bonnet pepper (or any hot sauce of your choice) to the skillet. Get the aromatics working by stirring for around 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, pepper, and salt then stir again for a minute.
- Pour on the broth or water to the pot. The broth is recommended to really capture the chicken flavour.
- Throw in the veggies: chayote, plantains, carrots, pumpkin, Season with salt to suit your preference.
- Put on the lid and cook for around 30 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and set aside to cool.
Enjoy your warm hug in a bowl! Best served with a toasted bread and a couple of mates.
What you’ll need:
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, chunked
- 1 diced medium onion
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. Fresh thyme
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups chicken broth or water
- 2-3 diced Green Onions
- 1 tsp. all spice
- 1 chunked Chayote
- 1 chunked plantain
- 2-3 cups chunked Pumpkin
- 1-2 chunked carrots
- 2-3 tbsp. parsley (optional)
- Pepper and salt