Caribbean Sticky and Sweet Chicken Wings Recipe
Sweet, spicy, sticky – a perfect balance of flavour and texture in one dish. This recipe deserves to be on your next weekend cook-out with the fam. You have the choice of baking or grilling it as this is a very flexible recipe. Go on and bake it if you don’t want the extra grease, or grill it to add smokiness to the chicken. You can also adjust spiciness level according to your preference. Whatever way you’ll have it, this recipe guarantees a burst of exciting and balanced flavours perfectly paired with an ice cold beer.
|Prep Time||Cooking Time||Total Time||Serving||Calories|
|20 mins||35 mins||55 mins||5||232 kcal|
What you’ll need:
- 2-3 tbsp. Jerk Spice Blend
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. fresh cilantro, finely minced
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup pineapple juice or water
- ½ cup Ketchup
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsp. or more Caribbean Hot Sauce (adjust to your liking)
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp. Maggie Sauce Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2½-3 pounds chicken wings
- 2 tbsp. Jerk Seasoning
How to do it:
For the Sweet & Spicy marinade:
- Butter up a small or medium sized skillet over low fire.
- Sauté the chopped garlic for about a minute or until light brown.
- Add the honey, ketchup, brown sugar, Maggie sauce, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer for around 2 minutes.
- Using a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch thoroughly with water or juice.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan and let the mixture boil.
- Get that pasty and thick sauce by allowing the mixture to simmer for around 10 minutes at low heat. Adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- Remove from fire and set aside to cool down.
For the Chicken Wings:
- Get rid of bacteria by thoroughly washing the chicken wings. If you have enough time, you could place it in the fridge and let it dry for around 3 or more hours. If you don’t have enough time, pat it dry with paper or kitchen towel.
- Put the dried chicken in a large bowl and season with salt, rub with Jerk spice, and drizzle on some oil (this is important to make sure the chicken won’t stick on to the grill).
- Get the grill ready and lightly wipe on some oil on to prevent the chicken from sticking. Preheat it for 25 minutes or more at low heat. Or if you use charcoal, fill it up half full only.
- Lay the chicken on the grill carefully and start your grilling game.
- Grill for about 20-30 minutes. Flip every 3-4 minutes to cook evenly. Aim for the perfect golden brown look.
- Remove from the grill. Serve with the sauce on top or at the side.
Grab a beer, cheers with a mate, and enjoy these fiery chicken wings!