Recipe: Caribbean Jerk Chicken & Rice in A Pot
A little pot full of flavours! Perfectly crispy baked chicken thighs that lay on a bed of Caribbean rice and beans – that’s a complete meal in one pot. This recipe is definitely the next best mate of the on-the-go blokes out there.
|Prep Time||Cooking Time||Total Time||Serving||Calories|
|15 mins||45 mins||60 mins||5||554 kcal|
What you’ll need:
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 minced garlic clove
- ½ diced medium onion
- 1 1/2-2 tsp. creole spice
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 cups long grain rice uncooked
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 5 oz. can coconut milk
- 5 oz. can rinsed and drained red kidney beans
- 1 tsp. white ground white pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. chicken bouillon
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 1/2-3 pounds chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. Jerk Seasoning
How to do it:
- Wash the chicken thighs with clean water and dry off with a paper towel.
- For a quick cook, slit the sides of the chicken at about 1/2 inch. Season with 1 ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Kick on some flavour by rubbing the chicken with an ample amount of your favourite spice mix.
- Lay the chicken thighs on a skillet for around 3 minutes each side just to add that golden brown tinge on the chicken skin. Be careful not to overcook it though! Nobody wants a burnt chicken skin after all. Take it out the pan and set aside. At this point, you should preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cover the grains with cold water then wash it using your hands. Pour the water out and repeat twice. Set aside.
- On a clean and dry pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil then put in onions, garlic, and thyme. Sauté everything until soft, not golden, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Create the perfect balance of flavours as you add on all remaining ingredients.
- Put the chicken in the pan and bring it to a boil.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and cook for around 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven to cool.
Serve and enjoy your little pot of gold with your mates!