Slow Cooker Caribbean Chicken Curry
Fancy some creamy chicken dish with the perfect combination of curry spices and Caribbean accent? This slow cooker dish is one to try. A one-pot meal of chicken thighs that are slowly cooked with spices, coconut milk, veggies, and curry. This recipe offers lip-smacking goodness and heavenly aroma.
|Prep Time||Cooking Time||Total Time||Serving||Calories|
|15 mins||180 mins||195 mins||5||384 kcal|
What you’ll need:
- 3-3 ½ poundchicken thighs
- 1 curry spice/powder
- Pepper and salt
- ¼ cupcanola or cooking oil
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 minced garlic
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- ½-1 Tsp. paprika
- 1 1/2-2 Curry spice/powder
- 1 cupcoconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tomato paste
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 pound potatoes peeled and cut into medium pieces
- 1 pound carrots and green beans
How to do it:
- Rub on the chicken some pepper, salt, and curry spice to season. Set aside for now.
- Using a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add the chicken then cook on both sides around 4-5 minutes until brown.
- Take out the chicken then set aside. Drain the oil from the skillet then leave at least 2 tbsp.
- Add your spices: onions, minced garlic, paprika, thyme, curry powder. Allow the flavours to blossom for around 5 minutes with stirring. You can choose to add the scotch bonnet now or add it during the last 45 minutes after adding the veggies.
- Now, add your liquids. Pour in the water, coconut milk, tomato paste and bay leaf. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Season it with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ tsp. of chicken bouillon (or adjust to your preference).
- Place in the slow cooker and add the chicken thighs. Add in gently the potatoes.
- At approximately 45 minutes before chicken is cooked, add the vegetables and cook until everything is ready.
Allow to cool and serve afterwards.